SUPRATIVA has been founded with one of a primary objective of science popularization. It has since evolved into a Peoples’ Science Movement with a clear mandate of shaping science & technology and ensuring its utilization to benefit the weaker sections of society. It believes that in a world dominated by science and technology, science communication and popularization is of utmost importance especially for our country where a large population needs to be told about the impact of science and technology in their daily lives.
The organization has been actively engaged in undertaking several programs in science popularization and stimulation of a scientific temper among people. SUPRATIVA is successfully transmitting the message of science and scientific knowledge through traditional media in particular through folk songs, street plays, film shows and through symbols and images on wall papers and posters.
It is also working on many interesting projects with National Council of Science & Technology Communication (NCSTC), Government of India.
- Nature Science Activity Camps-In nature study camps, the participating students and teachers are used to learn different scientific experiments, observational methods on various living and non-living components of nature, process of scientific enquiry into environmental problems and their solutions etc. They are exposed to nature in balance, eco-systems of a pond, world’s biomes, wetland, living trees, flowers, living soil and animal communities etc. Interactive theme based games and discussions are also conducted in various sessions of the camp. Major activities learned by the trainees are collection and analysis of samples, preserving leaves, leaf zoo making, setting of terrarium, taking bark prints, bird watching, building of greenhouse, making garden in a jar, herbarium making, potter making, aquarium making, star gazing, water and soil testing, bamboo crafts, animal care, nature games and skits etc.
- Root and Shoot Program-The program is developed as an activity for schools or local science clubs. It is being implemented by SUPRATIVA for a cluster of at least 25 science clubs, saplings are planted and nurtured for a minimum period of three years. Each group of students maintains the life history of their respective plant/tree in a record book developed by SUPRATIVA. The students perform many interesting activities viz; conservation of soil, rational use of water, etc. The aim of this program is to involve groups of students in such hands-on activities, experiments and observations that would give them an understanding of various components of environment and their relationship with each other.
- Volunteer Plus – Disaster Preparedness Training- The activity involves training volunteers in skills useful during natural disasters or calamities like accidents, fire, floods, cyclones, earthquakes, etc. The module includes safe construction from engineering aspects, techniques of giving first aid to disaster victims, reviving victims of drowning, handling of fires, development of search and rescue skills, skills for team formation under stress, psychological support to disaster victims and other related topics. Practical demonstrations and exercises follow theory sessions. A training manual is prepared by SUPRATIVA for the benefit of trainees.
- Explaining So-called Miracles- A highly successful training program for teachers and activists of voluntary agencies to demonstrate and then scientifically explain hundreds of `miracles’ is being employed by self-styled god-men. Numbers of demonstration have been carried out in rural areas by the experts of the organization.
- Detection and Prevention of Food Adulteration- School teachers and activists of science based voluntary organizations are being trained on various aspects of quality consciousness of food and other consumables, adulterants, toxicity, detection of adulteration through simple chemical and physical tests, laws pertaining to adulteration of food and spices, health hazards, etc. A testing kit with operational manual has been developed by SUPRATIVA in local language on how to detect adulterant in foodstuffs and animal feeds.